Getting Ready To Send The Parcel

Song: “The Happening” by The Supremes

Mood: 6.5

Nightmares: 0

Ghosts: Lots

It looks like that great sleep I had the other day was an anomaly – I haven’t slept nearly as well since. Not a big deal, and if I sleep really well, say, once or twice a year, I can handle that.

Today was another busy day. I’ve been making some stuff for my nephews for months now, and every time I give myself a deadline for when to send the parcel, it passes by because I keep thinking of something else I should make them or I’m worried they will think it’s all garbage. I have now set this Friday as the day the parcel will be going out, and now I’ve put it here so if I renege again, the four of you who actually read this site will know. I have been working on some lithophanes for the frames that I made last week (which I’m still quite happy with), and I want to print them both up a claw gripper thing, but that’ll be the end of it. If it turns out they like the stuff, I can always make another batch later.

While the printer has been whirring away in the basement, I’ve been keeping quite busy. I started in on the garden this past weekend and planted the potatoes; if the weather looks good I will put the rest in later this week or maybe over the weekend. It’s a tiny little garden so it’s not a huge effort, but it’s still something on my list.

I’ve also been steadily going through my stash of electronics parts and have made good progress. Some stuff is in the junk bucket, but what’s surprising me is how much stuff I’m actually able to get working. Some of it I’ve had for a very long time, some of it for not as long, but so much of it actually works. It makes me happy when something lights up or beeps or moves like it’s supposed to, but at the same time it bums be out a bit because I can’t help but think of all the time I wasted sitting at my workbench and staring at these things but being unable to hook them up (or even unwrap them).

I’ve been thinking about setting up another blog. There’s nothing wrong with this one (it will always be my main blog), but the thought of writing up some of the things I do during the day (like the electronics or the microscope for example) is appealing to me. Dr C and Dr W have told me repeatedly that keeping busy with hobbies is very important, and the more, the merrier. I also like the idea of posting things that I’ve figured out (some of the electronics stuff has taken several days because there aren’t any datasheets for it out there anymore) because it might help someone else, too.

What keeps me from trying something like this, though, is that I’m afraid that my insurance company may look at it and say, “Look – he’s playing with computers again! We can stop paying him now!” This scares the hell out of me, and before you tell me I’m overreacting, take a look at this:

See what I mean? There was another one about a cancer patient getting cut off that came out in the last month or two but I can’t find it right now.

I asked Dr C at my appointment today if she still thinks I should go about doing this kind of thing and she is certain I should. She’s reluctant to provide me with written instruction, though, because she is concerned that this may be another facet of my OCD shining through. She is, however, willing to communicate with my insurance company that this is stuff that I should be doing. I see where she’s coming from about the OCD, but I’m pretty sure that the company is more inclined to just cancel things and have J and me and Dr C and Dr W jump through a million hoops again to restart it. So I don’t know. I’m going to talk to Dr W about it (I have an appointment with him tomorrow), and I’ll see what he says. It will probably be something similar to what Dr C said.

I just really, REALLY don’t want to screw everything up again. I wish someone would tell me what to do.

Stay safe.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation