Another Really Good Day

Song: Theme From Lazy Jones (Commodore 64 Game) by David Whittaker

Mood: 8

Nightmares: 0

Ghosts: Several

I woke up this morning when the power went out and came back on – quite the storm was going on outside with a lot of lightning, thunder, and an awful lot of rain. It was only about half an hour before my alarm was set to ring so it wasn’t a huge deal and from what I can remember, I enjoyed the storm. Unfortunately, a house in town got struck by lightning, which wasn’t so good, but nobody got hurt.

J headed out into the rain to go to work and I stumbled around in a haze for a while, doing some tidying and trying to get myself together. I got a text a little while later from J saying that she was on her way home because the neighbourhood where her office is lost power during the storm and it was going to be hours before it was restored so her boss sent everyone home.

So it was a nice start to the day – a storm AND my sweetie ended up having the day off!

After J got home we hung out and talked and did some more tidying. I’m not 100% sure what order everything happened in, but I remember zoning out on the couch for too long and then rushing to de-stinkify myself before FA arrived.

Fortunately, FA ended up being just late enough for everything to work out perfectly, and when she arrived, the three of us chatted for a few minutes before she and I headed out to the hardware store.

Despite (or maybe because of) the weather earlier in the morning, the air was hot and thick with humidity, so it was a nice relief when we walked through the doors into the store and the cold, dry air hit like a big bag of frozen waffles. FA likes it when it’s disgustingly hot out but even she commented about how swampy the air was.

We did a slightly modified aisle crawl – usually we start at one end of the store and work our way through the whole thing, but today I needed to pick up some staples so we went to that part first, then meandered through the rest of the store. As always, there were a few weird/neat/fascinating things there that had us scratching our heads and trying to figure out what they were or why on earth someone would make something like that, which is one of my favourite parts of going to that store.

We left the store bags in hand and headed over to the burrito shop, picked up burritos (and one for J), and then came back to the house. The three of us talked and enjoyed lunch (man those burritos are good) and had a good time hanging out.

A while later, J headed out to do some things and FA and I started puttering around with stuff. I had hoped to show her that I got the software defined radio working with the new Raspberry Pi board that I got last week but – despite working fine the previous day – it decided to be stubborn and didn’t work very well at all, so I ended up hooking up my regular computer and we listened to some weather broadcasts, some traffic from the airport, and even some traffic from the local transit authority.

We also puzzled over the best way to make new handles for a trophy that badly needs them. You wouldn’t think that there would be a lot of figuring for something like that, but in this case there definitely was, and after J got home again the three of us stared and tilted our heads and squinted at it for a while before we figured it out. At least, I think we figured it out. FA has access to one of those new resin 3D printers so she’ll be able to print stuff at a crazy high resolution that doesn’t have the layer lines or support blemishes that the more common printers leave behind.

As usual, we also spent time talking about all kinds of things. Everything from expensive pantyhose, to dolphin-safe tuna and salad kits, to the merits and disadvantages of playing goal in soccer.

I was very surprised when I looked at the time and it was almost 6:30PM – the day had run away from me again. We chatted for a few more minutes, then FA picked up her stuff and headed home.

After she left, J and I put together some supper and talked for another stretch of time before heading downstairs. I set up another job to run on the printer and then we watched another episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Now I’m just wrapping up my day and thinking about tomorrow.

It has been a really good day. I wish I could sweat how good I feel so I could collect it in a jar and smear it all over myself when I’m having a crappy day. Kind of gross, but I bet you can’t honestly say you wouldn’t do the same thing if you could.

I have an appointment with Dr C tomorrow afternoon but other than that, there’s not a lot going on. I have several things I’d like to print, and I think I’m going to rebuild that Raspberry Pi.

Stay safe.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation